Go Back   Site Owners Forums - Webmaster Forums > General Arena > General Discussion

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
munna85

Problems Trying to Dual-Boot Ubuntu and Mac OSX

Hi,

I'm new to Linux, and I've spent most of the day trying to install to install Ubuntu on my 2010 MacBook

alongside OSX 10.6.8, but just when I thought I had it I can't seem to access Ubuntu anymore.

I followed the steps here -- http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/dual-boot-os-ubuntu

A few things which may help:

I installed rEFIt, however, I don't see the refit menu when I startup my computer. I think I confused

it with the option-key startup manager earlier..

I used the disk utility to create a 20GB "free space" partition. I thought it was a little odd that I

didn't see the partition listed afterwards, but the "Macintosh HD" partition had shrunk by 20GB, so I

assumed everything was okay.

I then booted Ubuntu from a LiveCD and chose to install Ubuntu. I clicked on the option that said

something like "Install Ubuntu alongside Mac OSX" and followed the instructions. Eventually the install

completed and I was told the computer would restart - During that process the disk was ejected. I was

asked to remove the disk, close the tray (which I don't have), and press enter. When I pressed enter

nothing happened and the dots were not moving, but I googled around and thought it should be okay to

manually power off the computer at this point.

When I turned the computer on again it booted straight into Mac OSX. The option key did not work and

the rEFIt menu did not appear.

I checked the disk utility - there's a 230GB "Macintosh HD" volume as well as three others I haven't

seen before: a 1.00 MB volume called "disk0s3" in the format "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", an 18.00 GB

volume called "DISK0S4" in the "MS-DOS (FAT)" format, and a 1.85GB "Linux Swap" volume also in the "Mac

OS Extended (Journaled)" format.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
munna85 is offline   Reply With Quote