Go Back   Site Owners Forums - Webmaster Forums > Market Zone - Buy/Sell/Trade/Wanted > The Market > Sell Sites

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
john2k

Tennis forum website for sale

I'm offering up for sale my tennis forum website which has been online continually since 1998.

The site, TennisW.com, was actually online a few years longer than 1998, although my domain registration shows since October 1998. Shortly after I registered TennisW.com back then I had learned that the domain was previously owned, used for another tennis website publication for some time around 1994-1996 or so. I wouldn't have noticed if it had not been for the fact that I registered the domain and immediately had traffic.

From 1998 to around mid 2003 I simply had a java chat room on the site along with a variety of tennis related links. The chat room was pretty much the primary focus of the site back then.

In the summer of 2003 I decided to move the site to a community format with the vBulletin forum software. TennisW has been operated continuously as a forum since that time.

TennisW has been mentioned in a number of books over the years, mostly Internet directory type books. The oldest I have seen was an Internet yellowpages from back in 1996 or 1997. Last year I started making a list of all the books I came across that mentioned the site. So far the following books are the ones I've seen, but there are others:
- The All-New Book of Lists for Kids
- Que's Official Internet Yellow Pages, 2005 Edition
- Internet Directory for Teachers
- Que's Official Internet Yellow Pages, 2006 Edition
- More Reading Connections: Bringing Parents, Teachers, and Librarians Together
- Internet Kids & Family Yellow Pages

TennisW.com was never a primary focus for me but rather more of a hobby. I started the site simply because I liked playing tennis and also consider it a good & fun way to exercise.

As of the time of this post the site has the following membership stats:
Members: 9,212
Threads: 3,049

Site traffic since June 20th of 2008 has been 382,314 unique visitors and 956,051 page views. For the past 12 months (with the remaining time in September estimated): 93,000 unique visitors and 165,000 page views. Here's the breakdown of the past 12 months:
This Month 8,612 5,595
Aug ’11 5,651 2,519
Jul ’11 14,437 8,556
Jun ’11 19,658 13,098
May ’11 16,879 10,439
Apr ’11 15,646 8,765
Mar ’11 15,955 8,897
Feb ’11 13,370 7,231
Jan ’11 15,721 8,988
Dec ’10 12,139 6,505
Nov ’10 7,900 3,074
Oct ’10 13,959 6,723
In the stats above, the numbers to the far right are unique visitors and to the left of that are page views. These stats come from the haveamint.com stats script which is installed on the same server account as the tennisw.com website itself. The stats script is called via a javascript in order to avoid counting bots & spiders as most of those do not use javascript. Quantcast stats are also available at quantcast.com/tennisw.com (I'm not sure what causes the discrepancy between haveamint.com and Quantcast stats.) For the past 10 years the annual unique visitor count has been in the range of 100,000 to 150,000 each year.

Revenue has been fairly minimal, mostly due to the fact that I don't focus much at all on the website. Earnings have probably been around $1,000 in the past two years. A few hundred was from a major tennis manufacturer, via their marketing company, 100 from someone who wanted to promote their blog and the remaining $600 or so from the tennis jewelry advertiser which is still on the site.

There are quite a few other tennis forums online which are much larger and more active than TennisW. This is probably at least part of the reason why TennisW has remained relatively small. Well, that and the fact that I don't spend much time working on the site.

I believe this site would be most valuable as an acquisition to small or medium size online tennis stores. The forum could easily be integrated into the store's brand/domain using something like forums.yourtennisstorename.com to host the forums on and redirect all the traffic from tennisw.com to the main store site or a splash page with a link to the new forum address as well as links to the online tennis store. An extra 100,000 to 150,000 visitors per year I believe would provide a very nice boost to any tennis shop trying to make it in this economy. In addition, already established traffic will help build the forums even more, which would in turn also benefit the online store portion of the site.

Along with online tennis stores, acquisition by someone just starting out in the online tennis publishing sector would be a great fit as well. There are many benefits that come along with having a long established domain & site. Someone who has a lot more passion for tennis than I do could probably take this site to much higher levels without having to build a site and market it from absolute scratch. What TennisW.com would do here is save you countless hours or investment to get to a similar level of traffic, etc. Keep in mind, the forums can be moved to your domain & the tennisw.com domain can be used to funnel traffic to your website.

Domains:
In addition to TennisW.com I also have the following domains which optionally can be part of the sale.
- TennisMessageBoard.com
- TennisMessageBoards.com
- LetsTalkTennis.com

My reason for wanting to sell my tennis website is pretty straightforward. The site is not my primary focus, I don't work much on it, I never seem to have much time for the site, I like tennis but do not have a significant "passion" for it and I have some debts that I'd like to pay down if a sale goes through.

Please send any offers or questions to me via private message or by email using the contact link on tennisw.com

The vBulletin license can be optionally included, as long as vB license transfers are permitted. If a sale is agreed upon the transaction will be processed via Moniker.com or escrow.com domain escrow services.

If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading through all the info and considering my sale.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
colepath

What is the major way of earning from your forum ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
colepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
john2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by colepath View Post
What is the major way of earning from your forum ??
Advertising sales. As I mentioned in my first post, I've sold around $1000 in ads in the past 2 years or so. A few hundred was from a major tennis racquet manufacturer (via their marketing agency), a hundred from someone who wanted to promote their blog and $600 or so from the tennis jewelry designer which is still on the site. The ad sizes I've sold are 728x90 and 300x250 image based ads.

Of course, there's much more that could be done. TennisW just needs someone with more passion for the topic in order to make it all happen in bigger & better ways.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
mariaikram

How much you want for this site... in this very long thread you never mention.
Also why you are not using adsense on this site? is this adsense banned site?

! Its 100% FREE!!
mariaikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
john2k

I mentioned in my first post that offers could be sent via private message. Regarding price, I don't have an exact number but my thoughts are roughly low 5-figures.

There would be no reason for TennisW to be adsense banned. I don't have adsense on the site as I decided to handle ad sales directly myself. Since I haven't really had enough time to focus on ad sales it might actually be a good idea for me to give adsense a try. I might do that if the site doesn't sell.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Traffic247

Is all the members registered active?

Traffic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
B2Bexpert

Thanks a lot for all of you for sharing your information about this so, please Keep sharing your informative information about this.......
B2Bexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #8
Trisha2

I mentioned in my first post that offers could be sent via private message.

Trisha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
jonemike

please tell me sell amount.

jonemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
martinjohn885

excellent post thanks
martinjohn885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:45 AM   #11
ikoiikenna

Send a message via Yahoo to ikoiikenna
whats is the site rank now?

ikoiikenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:35 AM   #12
vinodkumar

i dont know ehat is this

vinodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #13
AizaKhan

what is your earning from this forum

|
|
|
|
|
AizaKhan is offline   Reply With Quote