Go Back   Site Owners Forums - Webmaster Forums > Search Engine Optimization > Search Engine Optimization

Notices

Old 01-24-2015, 03:45 AM   #1
Ruby707

Disallowing crawling of js and css results in lower rankings

Have you heard, Google have announced that they have started to check through your websites Javascript and CSS files for search indexing? They have stated that : "Disallowing crawling of Javascript or CSS files in your site’s robots.txt directly harms how well our algorithms render and index your content and can result in suboptimal rankings." Is this going to be a problem? Let me explain why I think it could be...

By default, Joomla sets the robot.txt file in our websites directories to disallow searching of several folders, including the templates folder and the modules folder, which is where all the .js (Javascript) and .css (CSS) files are to be found.

This means that because of the way Joomla is setup, our Google rankings will be limited, and we will not be tested fairly with the Google indexing algorithms. Does anybody know if this will be a genuine problem for us Joomla users? If so what can we do to stop it from being a problem?

I'd love to know everyone's ideas and thoughts, so please get this post as much attention as possible so we can make sure our websites are not going to be affected by the largest search engines in the world's new indexing system.
Ruby707 is offline   Reply With Quote