Go Back   Site Owners Forums - Webmaster Forums > General Arena > General Discussion

Notices

Old 05-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
DanielGarneau

Best Way to set up a Multilingual site with WordPress

Hello,

My site was developped using css and html. Every page has a switch that allows moving from English to Spanish to French.

I am progressively copying the data from my original site into a WordPress environment. So far I did English pages at savoiretcroire.ca/en/.

I am thinking along the lines of using three instances of WordPress, one for English (/../en/), one for Spanish (/../sp/), and one for French (/../fr/). But I am not sure this is the best route to go.

I know there are some multilingual functionalities with WordPress, but they require plugins, plugins must be compatible with theme, and I am not sure I would be able to remain in control of my site if something went wrong.

Any one cares to provide insight? What direction should I begin to look into?

Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- Knowing and Believing: Torn-apart, yet inseparable allies…

Last edited by DanielGarneau; 05-22-2014 at 07:48 PM..
DanielGarneau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
DanielGarneau

Hello silent viewers of this forum's postings,

Since I asked the above question on May 22, 2014, I have been finding answers to the questions I asked. My site is now migrated from its legacy html-css base to WordPress.

I am using the 2010 WordPress theme, because it does not break under older browsers. As far as the trilingual functionality I asked about, I am using the WordPress Polylang plugin, and so far it seems to be very stable.

A friend from another forum who is also its owner advised me against setting up a multisite environment, which was the idea I had in mind when I considered the /fr/ and /en/ and /es/ extensions. I have my site configured so that if you type my main domain name, it defaults to the language my visitor is operating her or his computer from, if it's French, English or Spanish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DanielGarneau; 06-18-2014 at 06:29 PM..
Old 06-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
websitejd

HOT: 0935.179.050 ms thủy

http://www.thegioiwebre.com/image/da...b-tron-goi.gif
websitejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
DanielGarneau

Could someone summarize daikin1234's posting into English, Spanish or French, as it is impossible for me to know what the response to my posting means. English would be preferable, since I believe it is a universal language understood by other site members.