Go Back   Site Owners Forums - Webmaster Forums > General Arena > General Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
munna85

How many computers do you have (and what operating systems do you use?)

I'm a computer dork. I grew up on an Apple IIgs and then moved to the world of PCs. Between my husband and me, we have 9 computers (and 6 of them are mine).

Here's what I have:
1. A laptop for travel. I'm a journalist-blogger so I travel every so often to conferences. My 12" notebook works very well for liveblogging. The model: Dell Inspiron 700m with WinXP.
2. A laptop that I use as a desktop: My Dell XPS M1710 (also on XP) is my big productivity machine. It's a brick, but I love having so much screen real estate to get work done.
3. A Linux machine that I built myself: It's a simple setup running Fedora 8. I use it almost always remotely.
4. My media center: It's actually a full-sized ATX case that I built with 6 hard drives (plus 3 USB drives attached). I back up my photographs and store media (music, videos) on the computer. I actually never physically sit at the machine though! (And yes, you guessed it, it runs XP.)
5. An old Dell laptop: It's an Inspiron 8600 (with XP) that's about 4 years old. Runs XP and I use it to test applications for blog posts.
6. A Macbook Pro. I actually just got this and I'm starting to learn how to use it. (And in truth, it arrived with a small physical deformity so Apple has it now!)

My wife has another 700m (we distinguish ours because I have stickers on mine) and 2 Dell desktops. All run XP.

When it comes to computers, each serve different purposes as I mentioned before. I also salvage old parts to keep my older machines running. The desktops have had a long life (but I've had to take them apart more than five times due to hard drive failures, power supply problems, and whatever else is related to a failing computer) but I'm big on laptops (especially warranties) so I try to stay current on all of them.

What about you?

IBM's latest supercomputer crunches numbers at enormous speeds-and will soon be put to use for nuclear warfare.

Any comments?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
munna85 is offline   Reply With Quote