Go Back   Site Owners Forums - Webmaster Forums > General Arena > General Discussion

Notices

Old 01-06-2016, 06:13 AM   #1
padiidccdc

Do you need a certificate to go scuba diving?

Hi people

I am currently a student at a big college in the us, and I am considering attending one of the SSI Scuba classes offered on campus. They give you a certificate at the end. I believe it is an open water diver certificate but I am unsure of that. To give you an idea, the course is divided into 6 sessions of 4 hours each, followed by a open water dive trip.

Since I am not a united states citizen (I come from Switzerland) I was wondering if the certificate they will hand me at the end of the instruction will be valid internationally?

Also, what is the point to possess such a certificate? I would like to be able to go diving on my own one day, will this certificate help me achieve that goal? Is it required to have a certificate to go scuba diving?

Thank you for your time,

Gili Islands Indonesia

Last edited by padiidccdc; 01-06-2016 at 09:15 AM..
padiidccdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2016, 12:59 AM   #2
padiidcgiliI

Yes, once you complete the course you will receive a certification card that will be recognized worldwide. It doesn't matter that you aren't a citizen of the US.

If you want to go diving on your own, you need to have a certification card. Think of it as being similar to having a driver's license, except your certification card is issued by a dive training agency instead of the government. Once you successfully complete the training and hold a certification card, you will be permitted to sign up for a spot on a dive boat or obtain scuba tanks containing compressed air. By requiring a certification card for these activities, the scuba industry ensures that only those individuals that have completed at least the minimum level of training required to understand and avoid the risks associated with scuba diving are allowed to dive without the direct supervision of a scuba instructor.

Instructor Development Course Indonesia

Last edited by padiidcgiliI; 01-16-2016 at 01:04 AM..
padiidcgiliI is offline   Reply With Quote